Huda Beauty Desert Dusk Palette | Review

When Huda Kattan, owner of Huda Beauty announced she was releasing a new palette in August, you best believe I marked the date in my calendar!
The hype that ensued when she released her Textured Shadows Palette - Rose Gold Edition and damn well nearly broke the internet, I was for sure not going to miss out on the Desert Dusk Palette. When the day of release came round, I ordered it from the Cult Beauty website without any issues - the palette is still in stock which is shocking as the Rose Gold edition was out of stock for months! 
After the success of Huda's Rose Gold Edition palette, the Desert Dusk palette really piqued my interest. I love the beautiful array of colours that seem to be bang on trend this season. 

The Desert Dusk palette is said to be inspired by the middle east, something that most definitely resonates from the shade range that is offered down to the names that Huda has picked for each shade. 

" Encapsulating the shimmering dunes and iridescent, shade - shifting light of a desert at dusk, the 18 subtle sandy nudes, vibrant ochres and glimmering metallic hues are utterly hypnotic" - Yes, I would definitely say this description is very accurate.

Packaging:
In terms of the outer packaging I would say the Huda Beauty team really stepped up a notch from the previous palette. The palette came enclosed in a purple box that seems to have a 'dune' like effect patterned all over, with the name of the brand and palette embossed. This was a nice change instead of having a flimsy sleeve which she used for the Rose Gold Edition palette.  

Outer packaging
The packaging of the palette itself is absolutely stunning! I think one of the reasons why I kept the outer packaging of the Rose Gold edition was because the outer packaging of that palette was better looking then the actual palette itself! I think a lot of people were slightly miffed about that, I for one can't say I blamed them! But it seems like Huda really listened to her followers and consumers, because this time she had the famous Huda eyes in a metallic finish superimposed onto the palette, which makes it very aesthetically pleasing! The palette itself is very sturdy and has a large mirror, two things which were lacking in her previous offering. Another nice surprise was the protective film that was inside the palette, this too had Huda's eyes superimposed onto it and seems to be made of a good quality, I usually keep the film as I feel it protects the shadows and keeps the mirror clean.

Actual packaging of the palette
Textures of the shadows:
There are 4 textures in this palette they are as follows:
  • Matte - There are 8 matte shades - Desert sand, Musk, Eden, Amber, Oud, Amethyst, Saffron and Blazing
  • Pressed Pearls - There are 6 pressed pearl shades - Blood moon, Nefertiti, Royal, Cashmere, Angelic and Turkish delight
  • Duo Chrome Toppers - There are 3 duo chrome toppers -  Celestial, Twilight and Retrograde
  • Pressed Pigment - There is only one shade called Cosmo

Swatches: All swatches are just dry finger swatches, no primer or setting spray was used 
Swatches of First row from top to bottom: Oud, Blood Moon, Amber, Eden, Musk and Desert Sand

   Swatches of second row from top to bottom: Retrograde, Royal, Amethyst, Twilight, Nefertiti and Celestial.
             Swatches of the last row: Blazing, Safron, Turkish Delight, Cosmo, Angelic and Cashmere.

   
Outer packaging of both palettes

Left - Rose Gold Edition Palette & Right - Desert Dusk Palette
Shade comparisons between both palettes: At first glance there seemed to be a few similar shades in both palettes, however, after a quick swatch you can see that there are slight differences. I have included a picture of the swatches below:

DD - Desert Dusk palette + RG - Rose Gold Edition palette
Application: In terms of application I found my favourite formula was indeed the pressed pearls, they are really buttery and smooth in texture and the pigmentation was fantastic. The mattes have a dry feeling to them, however, they perform well and have very little fall out. Whatever little fall out they had I would say it is expected and acceptable (It's not ABH Subculture type fall out don't worry!) The pressed glitter is a stunning shade, although you would definitely need a glitter glue to help it adhere better. The duo chrome toppers are also very beautiful when layered over other eye shadows, I found it worked even better when used with fingers or with a bit of Mac Fix Plus and a flat shader brush.

Value for money: In terms of value for money, it does cost a hefty £56 but is it really worth it?...I'm going to go ahead and say HELL YEAH! Yes, I know these warm toned palettes that are perfect for the 'fall and the holiday season' are a dime a dozen. But saying that I do think the set up of this palette is rather unique. There is little repetition between Desert Dusk and the Rose Gold Edition palettes. There is only one shade that has been repeated and that is the shade called Angelic.
The quality of Huda's eye shadow palettes always seems to be consistent and made of a high quality. If you're in the market for a gorgeous warm toned palette with pops of colour with a variety of different textures for you to experiment with, then I would say this palette is great for that. I found each time I reached for this palette, I always created a more extra and dare I say 'bolder' look then a normal every day wash of colour. This would be amazing for extravagant bridal looks to even normal every day looks. But most of all I think this is going to be my palette of choice for the upcoming holiday season! If that Cosmo shade doesn't give you 'tis the season to be jolly fa la la la la' vibes then...I don't know what will!

I would give this palette a solid 4.5/5

Have you picked up any of the Huda Beauty palettes? Are you team Rose Gold or team Desert Dusk? 
I think just because of the variety of textures available I would say I am definitely team Desert Dusk! 

That's all from me my lovelies, hope you all had an amazing weekend! xxx


The Huda Beauty Desert Dusk Palette can be purchased here currently retails for £56.00
The Huda Beauty Textured Shadows Palette - Rose Gold Edition can be purchased here currently retails for £56.00



Disclaimer - This product was purchased myself. All opinions are honest and my own.




2 comments

  1. I haven't picked these up because I don't get much wear from the palettes I already have, but that doesn't stop me looking haha! I love the first row of swatches, all of those shades are perfect and the quality does look really good x

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you soo much for having a read babe! Yes the colours and quality of this palette is amazing! Xxx

      Delete